[EM] [Election-Methods] [english 94%] PR favoringracialminorities

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sun Aug 17 16:18:37 PDT 2008

Raph Frank  > Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2008 11:33 PM
> > On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > One could also complete short votes (at least by default) to something
> > longer (e.g. party preferences or just party as a whole) to get rid of
> > this problem.
>
> That is another option, the Australians seem to be against
> the concept of exhausted ballots.  The vote could be extended
> by the party list of the voter's first choice.

But none of these would be STV-PR.  They would be yet more variants of party-list PR.

Australia introduced compulsory voting in 1924 and compulsory marking of preferences against all candidates in Federal Senate STV
elections in 1934.  I cannot find the reference for it, but I recall the 1934 change was prompted by the large amount of "bullet
voting" at the previous election.

Here are some more data on exhausted ballot in real STV-PR elections:
TASMANIAN HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY POLLS 1913-2006: INCIDENCE OF EXHAUSTED VOTES
  http://home.vicnet.net.au/~prsa/history/tas_exha.htm

James

Checked by AVG.