[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 23:42:01 PDT 2008

Rob,

As I said, I am not responding to any more of your unsupported
internal chatter/attacks.

Instead here is interesting news coverage today by CBS news:

Voting Machine Doubts Linger - Concerns Over Vulnerability Of
Electronic Machines Sending Many States Back To Paper Ballots

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/16/eveningnews/main4355733.shtml

Most of the country, thankfully *is* beginning to get the concepts
that I've been trying to explain for why only voter marked paper
ballots and routine scientific post-election audits provide a way to
publicly verify the accuracy of election outcomes in a way that the
public can comprehend and support.

This CBS article *gets it*.

For the best election auditing legislative proposal, reviewed by
election officials, and statisticians and mathematicians who are
experts in election auditing mathematics, please review this and see
how it would work for your "pet" voting method:

http://electionarchive.org/ucvAnalysis/US/paper-audits/VoteCountAuditBillRequest.pdf

You will not be able to provide information or data to support the
assertion that US election outcomes are mostly accurate today due to
the lack of any scientific  independent post-election auditing in all
US states and lack of public access to election records, lack of
ballot security, lack of any public oversight over ballot security,
lack of timely public access to election records, and lack of
post-election ballot reconciliation. I know of NO state, not even one,
which  employs  all the fundamentals which would demonstrate the
accuracy of its election outcomes.

The U.S. currently has a voting system that is wide-open to
outcome-altering vote fraud in almost all states. It is naive to
imagine that no insiders take advantage of this susceptibility and
unaccountability.  Rigging an election is much easier to do and to get
away with than robbing a bank, and the financial rewards  and power
obtained from election rigging are far greater. And all the available
data is highly consistent with ubiquitous vote miscount - not
surprising without any measures to detect or correct vote miscount in
most states.

Why would you imagine that any election outcomes are accurate? Why
would you imagine that state legislative election outcomes are
accurate? Why would you imagine that any US congressional election
outcomes are accurate?  There is no evidence to support any claim of
accurate election outcomes in most states.

Cheers,

Kathy