[EM] [Election-Methods] [english 94%] PR favoring racialminorities

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 16:21:54 PDT 2008

Jonathan Lundell wrote:
> I could see a kind of proxy front end to STV elections. I'm not sure
> I'm convinced it would be a good idea, or even practical to implement,
> but suppose that any person or group (including parties) could
> register an STV ranking, and a voter could select that ranking instead
> of ranking individual candidates.

I think a reasonable compromise is the system where a voter picks a list
and can override it.  This could include a system where any voter can
register a list prior to the election.

The voters can then pick one of the lists that made it to the ballot or
enter the write-in code for the list that they want to use (or just leave
blank to truncate after their 'manual' rankings).

Combined with an override option this gives allows maximum expression
balanced with reasonable convenience.

One nice feature of a list system without override is that it allows much
larger PR-STV elections.  If there was a limited number of lists (say
<5 lists per candidate) and each voter picks one list as their ballot,
then the polling stations can just announce the total for each list.

In principle, it would allow a single PR-STV district for electing a
legislature with 100's of members.  (Though in that case, the number
of lists might be restricted to 1 per candidate).  With the write in option,
it wouldn't be that restrictive, as all a minority party supporter would have
to remember is 1 number.