[EM] [Election-Methods] [english 94%] PR favoring racial minorities

Raphfrk Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 15:58:13 PDT 2008

Kristofer Munsterhjelm said:
> If there's a static or consistent majority that decide to, as an example, exclude minorities,
> that is "democratic", but still not a good state of things, and no amount of making the
> democracy more accurately translate the wishes of the majority into action can fix that,
> since the majority wants to keep on excluding the minority.

This is true.  However, PR means that it is harder to get to work.

In a single seat system, the 2 main parties have huge power.  In a 1
party state,
the leadership of the one party can use fear to keep the main voting
block voting
for them.  'If you don't vote for us, the minority will take over the
country due to
vote splitting'.

Under PR, this doesn't work as the majority is sure of getting a proportional
result.  you would expect more moderates to be elected.

In Northern Ireland, there was a situation like that.  The Unionists want to
maintain the link to the UK, while the Nationalists want NI to join with the
rest of Ireland.

The Unionists were around 65% (<55% now) of the voters and they voted
en bloc for
unionist parties.  This lead to a 1 party state from the 1920's to the 1970's in
NI.

> > Anyone know a better free mail system that doesn't cause lots of ??? when
> > I post to this group?
> The usual suspects should work: Gmail,

Thanks, forgot about them.  I just want webmail that has a plain text
option.  AIM
seemed to cause major corruption when posting from Linux and also when doing
copy/paste.

Raphfrk