[EM] [Election-Methods] My Short Anti-IRV Screed

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 20:26:20 PDT 2008

This page sums up argumentation against IRV quite nicely.

One observation. The "IRV Doesn't Scale Up" could also cover the
synchronized style counting. I mean the scenario where the ballots
are kept in various small counting centres but where only the
counting process is coordinated from some central site, e.g. giving
instructions to all local sites during the counting process on when
some candidate should be eliminated. I guess this approach would be a
typical response of the IRV promoters to these central counting
related problems.

Anther detail. In the last paragraph: blanks in a rankings ballot
could mean also "below all others". In many cases this is a good
approach to avoid unknown candidates getting "too good results".

You mentioned that IRV is better than plurality. It has also some
other good sides like reasonably good strategy resistance. But maybe
this page need not cover this kind of "IRV promoting stuff" if the
main focus is anyway to collect rational argumentation that points
out the weaknesses of IRV that the IRV promotion campaigns so easily
miss.

Juho