[Election-Methods] My Short Anti-IRV Screed - Median voting

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 6 06:59:26 PDT 2008

Mr Bolson,

this represents very well my comprehension.

IRV is better than FPTP and it is almost all about it. The more choices
there is,
the greater the difference gets.

Since the transfer of information from counted ballots can be done in
proportion of n!
datas (where n is the number of candidate), IRV becomes not summable when
there is more
than 5 candidates (6! = 720 piles of ballots) for hand counting and around
10 candidates
(10! = 3 628 800 datas) for computerized counting.

For ordering methods, any Condorcet method (ranked pair) seems more
appropriate.

However, median voting (a rating method) tends to be my favorite
single-winner method.
In median voting, any candidate scores the median of all the ratings
received from the electors.
The highest median wins. Not getting rated on a ballot means the
correspondant voter has no opinion about the particular candidate.
It is by far the most strategy resistive single-winner method. And any
electoral system designer
will tell you we need to get sincere preference from the start if we want to
be able to get the electorate will.

Can you get equivalent statistics to compare median voting with your other
methods?

Yours,
Stéphane Rouillon