[EM] [Election-Methods] about IRV & median voting (answers to Dopp, Roullon)

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 7 06:53:14 PDT 2008

There are many definitions of monotonicity.

IRV ensures that by adding ballots having the current winner as first
choice, that winner will remain.
IRV cannot ensure that by replacing ballots that do not have the current
winner as first choice by the same number of ballots with this winner in
first place, we would still have the same winner.

Thanks to Warren for the reference, I will comment soon on median voting
limitations...

Stéphane
PS: My name is pronounced ruyon (maybe it can help for the spelling: Rou ill
on ;)