[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Mon Apr 28 15:24:34 PDT 2008

Good Afternoon, Juho

re: "It is hard to say what is the original reason and what is a
consequence. And it is hard to say what reasoning makes people
understand the problem and solutions, and where one should make the
first fixes."

Such an argument is more deflective than penetrating.  It does nothing
to either identify a problem or solve one.

re: "In US all the elected political decision makers have a mandate that
the citizens have given them. If those politicians are not good, we can
put some part of the blame also on the citizens."

This is probably the crux of the difference in our views.  There can be
no mandate when, as I said in an earlier message, "The only choices the
people have are those foisted on them by those who control the political
parties that have a stranglehold on our nation's political processes."

re: "If one wants to make an elephant move forward to some better place
the best solution may not be to push and shout.  Opening the gates and
putting few straws of hay in some strategic positions on the other hand
may make a big difference."

That will work ... if and when someone takes the time and makes the
effort to find the gate and clear the brush away.  Denying that a gate
exists makes the problem insurmountable.

An aside:  I recently mentioned my friend in the U. K.  Well, he and I
plan to work our way, humorously, through the way political change might
occur in a small town.  It's interesting and fun to make up newspaper
headlines and devise characters to present the various views ... and to
visualize how real people would react in real circumstances.  We
anticipate that visitors to his site will contribute by pointing our
many errors and misjudgments.

He and I started out, some months ago, with divergent views.  He
advocates Direct Democracy, and to the extent I understand what that is,
I don't favor the idea.  As we talked, though, we found we had more
points of agreement than disagreement.  In the end, we decided it would
be worthwhile to organize our thoughts and present them in an
entertaining manner.

One reason I mention this is that, back on March 5th, you wrote:

"I wonder if the groups of three (or more) always represent some
specific region. I guess this was the intention. I.e. if the process
starts at the backyard will it also continue to electing the
representatives of neighbourhoods, towns etc. If so, that would probably
make the ties between the representatives and their voters tighter. If
the relationship is tight and will be about the same also in the next
elections that would make the representatives one step more responsible
towards their voters."

As my friend and I discussed our views, one of the things that came to
the fore was a version of "... that would probably make the ties between
the representatives and their voters tighter." I now think that idea is
a major breakthrough.  I plan to modify the 'outline' by changing the
label from Active Democracy to Dynamic Democracy and including a brief
description of how "tighter ties between representatives and their
voters" will occur.  When one ponders complex relationships for a long
time and then finds a fresh perspective, it can be quite exciting.

Fred