[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Wed Apr 23 15:55:37 PDT 2008

Good Afternoon, Juho

re: "Maybe other viewpoints like the wasted money and problems of
one-dollar-one-vote may have more impact on them than the interest to
limit the size of the entertaining media event."

Aren't you and I wasting effort focusing on such matters?  They are
symptoms of a deeper malaise.  Ought we not seek to eliminate the disease?

If you and I (and others) selected those who enact the ordinances and
budget for our community, wouldn't we seek to insure the best resolution
of those matters for ourselves and our community?  Given the deceit
we've seen partisans practice when entrusted with our affairs, would we
allow them to decide these matters for us if we had an alternative?

Certainly not!

Ought we not, then, bend our minds to finding the means of making our
own decisions about our own government, however distant such a goal may
now appear?  What else is learning from experience?

That we have no such mechanism ought not prevent us from working on one.
  If, after using our best efforts, we find a better method than the way
we currently elect people to represent us in our government, would we
not then have a concrete proposal that others could consider, mold and
adopt?  What is progress but the consideration of alternatives,
experimentation, and the gradual development of the insights necessary
to advance?

re: "Yes.  The starting point (or current point of interest since the
process is continuous) could be in understanding/education since I don't
see yet any clear public consensus opinion on what the correct direction
of change would be."

Can a "clear public consensus opinion" spring forth on it's own?  If
such a goal is desirable, and I think it is, is it not up to us to
provide the seeds from which it can sprout ... and then cultivate and
nurture them to the best of our ability?

re: "Violence usually doesn't help (since it may harm more than it might
even theoretically help).  I believe much more in seeking the best
solution.  I expect (healthy) people to be inclined towards adopting
good solutions.  Finding working and popular solutions is not always
easy work."

I agree, wholeheartedly.  Given the degree to which partisan politics
has embedded itself in our society, we should not expect to find working
solutions.  Even so, I have heard of towns here in the U. S. with
non-partisan governments.  I wish I knew where they are.  Learning how
they function would be enlightening.

Violence is destructive and ultimately fails because it is based on
emotion rather than intellect.  When it is made to sound good, it is
because those who disagree are vanquished and the winners write the
history.  If we are to find a permanent solution, it can only be done by
a rebirth of reason.

re:  It doesn't set any responsibility but I think it may do pretty good
job in revealing to the listeners that the job is not that difficult
after all and the change is up to them.  If people change opinions from
Coca-Cola towards Pepsi that may have major commercial impacts.  Changes
are almost as simple in politics (and easy as well once people have made
up their mind).  If there is sufficient interest, some new paths will be
found (not always in the correct direction at the first try, but people
learn).

I'm afraid I disagree.  People do not "change opinions from Coca-Cola
towards Pepsi" unaided.  Nor will the people change their political
system if someone doesn't seek out a new path and blaze a trail for them
to follow.  These things do not flow from passivity, they flow from
conscious effort.  Lamenting darkness does not bring forth light.

re: "Looks like a clear analysis.  There might be some "offensive" tone
in the sense that most of the statements point out negative things.
People often don't find that tempting.  Many tend to ignore areas that
contain too much negative flavour.  They may not want to buy that kind
of negative stuff.  People may need also a positive image of what is the
alternative to the current state of affairs (a positive story of what
people might achieve together)."

And, THAT, dear sir, is well-said.  While it seems important to me to
identify to cause of the problem, show how it took root and how it
grows, my approach is, without question, a condemnation of the system
embraced by the majority of my fellow Americans.  One of the things I
never learned was how to tell people things they don't want to hear.
You've called it, and you're right.  I can tell you, with great
sincerity, that I wish I had the talent to do otherwise.

Juho, I fear you may find the tone of my comments too aggressive.  You
have been unfailingly courteous, but I don't understand what course you
advocate for resolving the political problems we face.  Please forgive
me if I seem inconsiderate.  As I've mentioned before, the weight of
time hangs heavily over me.  I've no wish to be rude, but I am anxious
to work on solutions, whether the one I've outlined or another that
addresses the causes of our problem rather than its many symptoms.

Fred