[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Mon Apr 21 12:55:16 PDT 2008

Good Afternoon, Juho

re: "I guess US is still a democracy in the sense that people can decide
otherwise if they so wish."

That is inaccurate.  The only choices the people have are those foisted
on them by those who control the political parties that have a
stranglehold on our nation's political processes.

re: "Probably also the media loves the massive and long campaigns and
the numerous intermediate steps (primaries, elections per state) on the
way, and many citizens probably enjoy them too."

Not as much as they (the media) love the political system that helped
them achieve immense size and influence.

re: "It is a pity that the needs of show business may sometimes conflict
with the needs of a simpler and more practical (and maybe also better
working) political process."

Is it enough to merely tut-tut the show business aspect of politics?  Is
it not time for specific complaints and specific alternatives?

re: "It is probable that the changes will take time and they may happen
as many small steps."

As I once said, about 200 years ... if we're lucky.  As far as the many
small steps are concerned, where do we start?  Would it make sense to
outline an alternative, analyze it, critique it, amend it and seek the
guidance of other thoughtful people about how to improve the role of the
people in their government?  (I may be able to point you to an
entertaining approach to this question in the near future.  I have a
friend in the U. K., who is implementing a neat idea.)

re: "As already said, if people want some changes, in a democracy they
can get it."

Not when all political activity is controlled and directed by vested
interests.  The only alternative available to the people is violence,
and that's the poorest choice possible.  Much better if we apply our
intellect to seeking a solution.

re: "Much depends on how well the change promoters (as well as the
opponents) can formulate and justify their proposals."

Are you among them?  As a promoter or an opponent?

re: "I also note again that people will roughly get the kind of system
that they deserve."

As an old saw, that one is pretty good ... but it fails to lay the
responsibility at the feet of the people's leaders.

re: "Maybe one could consider better education etc. to achieve better
results."

We've had compulsory education in this country for over 150 years.  Can
we be sure the educational system is not one of the causes of the
problem?  Our local institute of higher learning has a substantial
political science department.  It does a nice job of telling students
what's wrong with the system (I sat in on a course, last year), but it
does nothing to encourage them to develop thoughtful alternatives.

Should we be content to watch and, perhaps, smile at the foibles of our
society without making a judgment as to the wisdom or rectitude of what
we see?  We have described how our political parties (in the U. S.) have
taken control of our government, why it happened, and why it is not good
for the humans among us.  We have hypothesized that ...

... political parties are conduits for corruption.

... political parties control all political activity in the United
States and are in no sense democratic.

... allowing those who control political parties to usurp the power of
governing our nation is the antithesis of self-government.

... to improve our political system, we must find a method of selecting
our representatives that is not controlled by political parties.

Are these points offensive?  Are they wrong?  If so, in what way?

If not, are they worthy of considerable intellectual effort to correct
their ill effects?  Ought we not stand up and be counted?  How can we
correct the conditions we presently endure?  If we can't do it in our
lifetime, is it not incumbent on us to start the process so our progeny
has something to build on?

Fred