[Election-Methods] Clone related problems in Range/Approval

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 20 11:30:48 PDT 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 16:39 , Kevin Venzke wrote:

> Hi,

> I've made this claim as well. When we're lucky enough to have three
> viable
> candidates I tend to assume that either the center is running as an
> independent, or one of the flank candidates is nominated by a (mostly
> futile) third party.

Makes sense. I think it is a good approach to evaluate all the
plausible/probable basic scenarios. (Better than generic claims alone.)

> The harder claim is that this applies also to rank methods, though I'm
> confident it does.
>
> My goals in designing a single-winner method would be to provide
> incentives
> to voters and candidates that make it possible to have three viable
> candidates, and elect the one (when he exists) which is the pick of
> the
> "median voter."

I guess most single winner utility functions point approximately at
the "median voter" opinion, with the assumption of a linear order of
candidate opinions and voter preferences.

> If the method fails (picks a bad winner) when the field
> can't be narrowed to three viable candidates in time for the
> election, or
> when the candidates can't be interpreted to fit on a 1D spectrum,
> I'd say
> that's ok. The first problem is self-correcting, and the second one
> shouldn't be all that common.

The next common candidate opinion space could be one with two
dimensions. One dimension may be enough to cover most basic cases but
there may be also other quite common patters that may resemble having
two dimensions, having two centrists with somewhat different profiles
etc.

Juho