[Election-Methods] Clone related problems in Range/Approval

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Apr 17 06:39:08 PDT 2008

Hi,

> >> The claim that I don't recall having seen before is that in Range and
> >> Approval it makes sense to the parties not to nominate multiple
> >> candidates.

I've made this claim as well. When we're lucky enough to have three viable
candidates I tend to assume that either the center is running as an
independent, or one of the flank candidates is nominated by a (mostly
futile) third party.

The harder claim is that this applies also to rank methods, though I'm
confident it does.

My goals in designing a single-winner method would be to provide incentives
to voters and candidates that make it possible to have three viable
candidates, and elect the one (when he exists) which is the pick of the
"median voter." If the method fails (picks a bad winner) when the field
can't be narrowed to three viable candidates in time for the election, or
when the candidates can't be interpreted to fit on a 1D spectrum, I'd say
that's ok. The first problem is self-correcting, and the second one
shouldn't be all that common.

Kevin Venzke