[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 12:14:30 PDT 2008

On Apr 7, 2008, at 23:43 , Fred Gohlke wrote:

> re: "The decisions that politicians make do involve large sums of
> money,
> and there are nice job opportunities and also publicity etc.  In these
> circumstances it may be difficult to get through the buzzing crowd and
> meet the original intention of politics, to improve the system."
>
> But, as you said, "... this is how the system typically works".  When
> such circumstances are deeply woven into the fabric of our political
> existence, they tend to be seen as 'inevitable',  That dissuades many
> from believing it possible to correct them.  In addition, the symptoms
> of corruption become so common we waste ourselves battling the
> symptoms
> instead of curing the disease.

Yes, people may easily become blind to problems that they see every
day, and think that they are part of the laws of nature that can not
be changed.

> re: "In politics the dependences to various directions may easily get
> too strong."
>
> And THAT'S a fact ... but knowing it is not enough ... the question is
> how do we use the knowledge?  We know these things work to our
> detriment
> and we lament them vigorously.  We would do better to weaken the bonds
> that make them possible.

I generally believe in the power of understanding. One can
systematically promote e.g. the idea that too strong links between x
and politics are not good, and then wait until this becomes a common
understanding, and eventually makes the change possible.

If the claim is a valid claim and not too far/theoretical then people
are likely to get the point sooner or later. There will be also other
competing arguments, but if people see the new reasoning to be
superior they will be happy to follow it. People with vested
interests may fight against the change, but if the logic and need for
change is strong enough...

> You feel my estimate of 200 years to make a significant change in our
> political system is pessimistic.  Perhaps, but so far it looks like it
> will take 199 of those years for the people to recognize the kudzu-
> like
> effects of partisan politics.  By then, perhaps we'll have gained the
> wit to design an alternative that selects the best of our people and
> raises them to positions of leadership in our government.

Often the change comes when things get bad enough. One problem with
the USA is that it is so big that comparison to others is difficult
and it may take a long time before people realize that improvements
are needed. It is a great nation, and sincerely believes so too
(=best without need for comparisons). This attitude may help keeping
the moral high, but it may also delay the changes when they would be
needed (together with the large size, strong economy, no close same
size neighbours that could be seen as examples etc).

Juho