[Election-Methods] How important is the Schwartz criterion? Also, what is the Landau set, and ho

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 23:22:50 PDT 2007

The straight forward question which criteria are important and which
not is a bit confusing to me since I tend to think that in many cases
there is no such absolute order of importance. We know that election
methods typically need to make some compromises between different
criteria since all criteria can not be met. It depends quite often on
personal preferences or the environment for which the method is
planned for. Different environments ay lead to different preference
order. There can thus be valid reasons for sometimes respecting some
criterion ore than another and sometimes the other way around.

Juho Laatu