[Election-Methods] How important is the Schwartz criterion? Also, what is the Landau set, and ho

John Wong johnwong00 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 22 18:10:29 PDT 2007

Does the Schwartz set violate anything that the Smith doesn't violate?

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:45:17 -0500
From: rboundless at gmail.com
To: johnwong00 at hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [Election-Methods] How important is the Schwartz criterion? Also, what is the Landau set, and ho

Hello, John.

I would say that it's not especially important.  Smith is important, because a method that fails Smith will also fail Local Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives.  However, as Markus Schulze once pointed out to me, requiring that the winner come from the Schwartz set won't offer a more robust sort of independence.

Raven

On 9/22/07, John Wong <johnwong00 at hotmail.com> wrote:That sorta answers my question about Landau, but what about the Schwartz criterion? Is it important?