[Election-Methods] RE : How is the Nanson and/or Baldwin non-monotonic?

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Sep 20 05:54:06 PDT 2007

Hi,

--- John Wong <johnwong00 at hotmail.com> a écrit :
> How is the Nanson and/or Baldwin non-monotonic? I've been trying to
> develop
> an example where they are non-monotonic, but I'm having trouble.

I don't have an example off the top of my head, but what happens is that
raising the winner alters the elimination order in such a way that the
raised candidate can no longer defeat who remains.

For example, suppose in the first election C is eliminated and then A
defeats B. In the second election it's possible that raising A hurts B
more than it hurts C, so that B is the candidate who is eliminated. If
C defeats A pairwise then this causes A to lose to C.

Kevin Venzke