[EM] HR811 and Federal paper trail legislation

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Thu May 24 14:43:47 PDT 2007

> Chris Backert > Sent: 24 May 2007 19:39

> For one, saying "can't we just use paper ballots"
> ignores the millions of American's who are unable to use
> paper ballots.

I am surprised you say "millions".  Does this reflect the illiteracy level?  Or some other factors
affecting ability to complete ballots?   If so, what factors?  What type of voting method could be
used effectively by those unable to use paper ballots?

In the UK paper ballots are standard for all public elections, though there have been some pilots of
other methods of recording votes.  We make special provision for blind voters, visually impaired
voters and others who require assistance.

James Gilmour (UK)