[EM] HR811 and Federal paper trail legislation

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue May 22 19:45:04 PDT 2007

At 07:32 PM 5/22/2007, Kathy Dopp wrote:
>  Unfortunately BlackBoxVoting (whose
>income is almost $1 Mill/year to continue the fight vs. election
>problems) faxed thousands of election officials and urged them to
>fight against the bill.
>
>The bill is GREAT because it:
>
>1. gets rid of all paperless DREs immediately

The editorial claims that compliance would be impossible within the
time limits; however, if I am correct, a simple paper ballot, which
could be hand-counted, though it is inconceivable to me that a system
to machine count such couldn't be put together quickly, would satisfy
the requirements. Of course, the people selling the machines will be
less than thrilled.

The whole voting machine thing just boggles my mind. Didn't anyone
ever do a return-on-investment analysis to compare using these
machines with hand counting?