[EM] danger of coercion (Re: First U.S. Scientific Election Audit...)

peter barath peb at freemail.hu
Fri May 11 05:50:20 PDT 2007

>This is presumably about public ballot imaging. I'm only
>aware of one major drawback, which is an alleged increased
>opportunity for vote-buying or coercion. While there are
>ways to interdict this, I would note that the danger of
>vote-buying is overblown; both vote-buying and coercion
>must be fairly widespread to be seriously effective,

I don't think coercion must be widespread to be seriously
effective. Even the possibility that in some time someone
can identify my ballot can alter my vote toward the more
feared party.

In many countries, if the votes were not secret, this
fact itself would change the results, even without any
actual coercion or threat of coercion.

Peter Barath

"Diszlexiás a gyermekem?" - 25 kérdéses gyorsteszt (Hálás lesz utána, bármi is az eredmény!)
http://www.varazsbetu.hu/diszlexiateszt/
http://ad.adverticum.net/b/cl,1,6022,133103,204265/click.prm