[EM] Trees by Proxy

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Mar 26 22:10:20 PDT 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:20:47 -0400 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> At 08:52 PM 3/26/2007, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:08:03 -0400 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
>>
>>>What Ketchum has done is to connect floor rights with voting power,
>>>rigidly. But voting power, as I've mentioned, properly comes from
>>>the voters, not from the assembly, and participation rights in a
>>>meeting -- generally, of any kind -- come from the meeting, i.e., the assembly.
>>>

>>That the voters can elect a candidate to be a legislator is THEIR
>>power of choice.
>>
>>That the voters can later elect a replacement is THEIR power of choice.

I simply offer facts in preparation for my next paragraph.

Abd offered a book in response, but did not really deny.

>>I see environment not mattering normally:
>>     The above is true when election is via ballot box
>>     I see it properly remaining true when election is via proxy -
>>and keep the definitions consistent.
>>

> What Ketchum is doing is to elect a legislature by proxy, and
> apparently to maintain the variable voting power of proxies, but he
> would retain terms of office. Thus he loses a key aspect of proxy
> democracy, which is continuous representation.

I have said NOTHING about terms of office.  A proxy giver can change the
proxy AT ANY TIME.  I specify a delay between filing the change and it's
taking effect because I see the legislature needing to know the effects
coming up in time to make adjustments - including such as new legislators
preparing to be legislators before the day they start doing.

A problem I have not mentioned - I am not sure the recording of proxies
can be both effective and secret - and feel secrecy is not essential.

Abd and I make no changes in the rest since my previous post.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.