[EM] Trees by Proxy

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Mar 26 17:50:07 PDT 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:23:10 -0400 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> At 02:51 AM 3/26/2007, Dave Ketchum wrote:
> if we imagine Trees by Proxy as proposed by Ketchum, and then we add to
> it the following provisions:
>
>>> (1) Voters may vote directly at any assembly by showing up and
>>> voting, technical constraints permitting. This presence does not, in
>>> itself, give them other participation rights.
>>

>> Two thoughts:
>>      This is not normal for legislatures and not needed for what I
>> propose, so talking of it would be a distraction.
>

> Proxy voting is not normal for legislatures.

Hooray!  I am proposing proxies as a method of electing a legislature, not
as a means of torturing how they perform their tasks.

>>      For some legislature to do this would be to make up their own luck.
>
>>> (2) Proxy assignments can be revoked at any time by notice to the
>>> affected bodies by the principal.
>>

>> Since I propose EXACTLY this, sounds like carelessness.
>>
>> Actually, he wants them to take effect instantly - something I see as
>> too destructive.

Abd cannot see the difference.  I SAID that a proxy can be revoked

at any time.  The statement Abd offered agreed, probably unintentionally,

since it says nothing as to a delay before the revocation takes effect.

>> In what follows he seems to want a legislature to have unlimited
>> freedom in setting up its own rules.

Abd mentions common law.  Hard to tell when that applies, for it applies
ONLY WHERE there is nothing newer to replace it.

>> While a legislature should have some rule making ability, I believe
>> experience has shown that much of the rules BETTER be standardized.
>

> The rules *are* standardized, but they are subject to change by the
> legislature. This isn't too difficult to understand, and it is beyond me
> why Ketchum seems to argue with it.

AND, when a legislature gets into this, they had best understand what is
permitted for them to decide.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.