[EM] 22 March, 1435 GMT, Chris: Approval

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Fri Mar 23 16:03:06 PDT 2007

Chris said:

In a way Approval is worse. In my example, the five AB compromisers
might correctly believe that A has at least as good a chance of winning as B
and that C has the least chance to win. They don't need to be
convinced that their favourite isn't viable, just (given their abhorrence of
C) that C has some 'significant' chance of winning.

I reply:

If they vote for B when they think A is winnable, and C is least likely to
win, then they must like B about as much as C, and so there’s nothing wrong
with B winning.

If, under those conditions, they vote for B, though they like B a lot less
than A, then that will disappoint me. You’re saying that it could happen,
but it seems to me that it probably won’t.

Speaking for myself, as a Nader voter, I wouldn’t vote for a Democrat in
Plurality or Approval. You don’t vote for a completely unacceptable
candidate in Approval. Strategy forbids it if there’s an acceptable
candidate in the race. Many, most, or all of those who now vote for Nader
consider the Democrats completely unacceptable. I certainly do. Then there’s
the separate, non-strategic matter of principle and deservingness. Even if
Hillary and Giuliani were the only candidates in the race, that doesn’t
change the fact that Hillary doesn’t deserve a vote. She wouldn’t get one
from me, even if it were just her and Giuliani.

People who’d rather not vote Democrat are more principled than you might
think. That’s why they now vote for Nader even though we’re told that Nader
can’t win. If you think that those Nader voters are going to start giving an
Approval vote to Hillary when we change to Approval, then you don’t know
them.

On the other hand, the Nader-preferring, Democrat-voting LO2E progressives
will definitely give an Approval vote to Nader, in addition to the one that
they give to Hillary.

Chris continues:

In this scenario
if the method was FPP they would have voted for their sincere favourite A.

I reply:

You mean if they believe that A has as good a chance as B? That would be
nice, but I wouldn’t count on it. Anyway, it’s irrelevant, because, as long
as we have Plurality here, that day will never come. That’s because, with
1-vote Plurality, if the media tell a gullible public that a certain two
parties are the only winnable ones, “the two choices”, then those two
parties, which could be _any_ two parties, will win from now on, at
Myerson-Weber equilibrium. The result (low vote total for Nader, much higher
vote total for Clinton) is consistent, and seems to confirm, the
misinformation from the media. So the Democrats and Republians keep winning
forever.

I wouldn’t quite call that as good as Approval.

As I said, Approval will quickly home in on the voter median, and stay
there, because if Nader is outpolling the Republican, it will be clear that
Nader-preferrers have no need to vote for a Democrat lesser-evil. With
Approval, lesser-evils would be all washed-up.

Chris continued:

And likewise if it was IRV they would have voted sincerely
A>B.

I reply:

Has IRV delivered on its initial promise in Australia?

Mike Ossipoff