[EM] Free Associations (was: Trees and single-winner methods)

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 10:33:24 PDT 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 7:56 , Dave Ketchum wrote:

> I suggest you look at Trees by Proxy as a better base for your
> thoughts.
>
> It provides for electing legislatures, such as boards of trustees
> or elders, via continuous elections (proxies).
>
> Unlike Free Associations, these have traditional powers and
> responsibilities.

I agree that the "traditional powers and responsibilities" can not be
replaced overnight. And even if it was possible I wouldn't recommend
to do so (often such ideological experiments have failed). The FAs
could however be a useful tool at the edge of the political system. I
don't expect the difference to traditional political ways of working
to be very big, but reminding of the need to keep the system flexible/
responsive/open/discussing is a good thing to do.

Maybe it would be good to discuss separately about each of the
proposed ideas (FAs, proxies, continuous elections, permanent
representatives, use of tree structures etc.) to keep the discussion
clear.

Juho