[EM] Trees by Proxy

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Mar 18 23:56:15 PDT 2007

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:47:15 +0200 Juho wrote:
>>     This is a different way to assign legislative power - no
>>elections.  Still, this could be implemented first at village, or
>>village+town levels, without involving higher levels of government
>>until/unless it was accepted.
>

>>     That a proxy becoming effective is heard instantly all the way
>>to the top - region or country - means that it does not take long
>>for a rep's power to reflect quality.
>

> A positive thing in "continuous elections" and instantaneous effect
> of voter decisions is that the delegates will respect the wishes of
> their supporters, voters may influence the developments also between
> election days, and representatives can not do bad or unwanted
> decisions (e.g. raise their own salaries) and hope hat they will be
> forgotten before the next election day. The negative side of this is
> that representatives may become overly populist and will be not be
> able to drive long term plans that include both popular and less
> popular parts.

Easy to complain about Democrats angling to seem more cooperative as
opposed to actually attending to business - with present elections.

I proposed 10 days from filing a proxy to its becoming effective.  This
discussion would suggest increasing that - could be to such as two years
if appropriate to this plan.

> It is for example possible that the community needs more money and
> the representatives make a 60%-40% decision to raise taxes. But as a
> result large pat of those representatives that voted for the tax
> raises will be kicked out of the office the very next day. Maybe
> there would be some hysteresis in kicking them out, but in general,
> those populists that voted "no" even if they thought "yes" will maybe
> keep their seats with better probability. In the traditional system
> with elections every few years the time between elections can be used
> so that first taxes are raised and before the elections the benefits
> (if any) of the tax raises are already visible and can be explained
> to the voters.

This suggests need for reps to more clearly describe what they are doing.
  If there is true documentable need for the tax increase, those who will
benefit should be transferring their support to the reps who responded to
that need.

> One should thus plan the balance between these targets carefully for
> each environment where the "continuous elections" are used. One could
> e.g. use hysteresis and delays where needed.
>
> ---
>
> If one wants to maintain the close personal links between the voters,
> and at the same time keep the number of representatives and layers
> small, and still keep good proportionality, then allocating different
> voting power to different representatives (as proposed) is one
> possible tool in trying to achieve this.

I did consider that there could be a fringe of almost-reps (holding too
few proxies) too numerous to tolerate their being part of a reasonably
sized legislature.  I proposed that these combine forces to have some part
of them sit as actual reps.

> ---
>
> I lean in the direction of (as a main rule) letting the votes
> determine who will be elected and letting the candidates/
> representatives decide after the elections (on other matters than the
> outcome of the election). Safer so. Good justification needed for
> using extra layers. (Not out of question though - I can imagine e.g.
> some complex and expertise and scientific background requiring
> decision to be made by first electing experts whose only task is to
> elect the best proposal.)

Number of layers vs size of layers is a topic for discussion.  I accepted
numbers that Juho offered as useful in discussing concepts.  Doubtful that
we have developed anyone prepared to sign up as an expert.

DWK