[EM] divided house problem of close vote (50%+1)

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 23:17:50 PDT 2007

Some observations.

The description talks only about the "yes" votes. Is the assumption
that the "no" votes mean "no action will be taken"?

If we are talking about approving a new law then this is quite
typical, but if we vote for example about whether we should send our
rocket to Mars or Venus, then both sides should be treated in the
same way.

In the described method repeated 45% yes, 55% no results do not lead
to final "no" (assuming super majority and new referendum levels 60%/
40%). If we have only one rocket to send, voting first on sending the
rocket to Mars, then on sending it to Venus, then to Mars etc. is not
fair either. But maybe the method is not intended for this kind of
elections with two similar alternatives to choose from.

You also didn't set a rule on when the new election should be
arranged. Using term "referendum" refers to a situation where for
practical reasons there has to be at least one week time between two
consecutive elections. The proposed method might however be used also
in smaller elections like in the legislative body to accept laws
(maybe at its best in smaller scale elections due to the costs etc.).
There are countries where required super majority can be replaced
with simple majority and another simple majority after the next
elections. In this case the time span is months or years. You
mentioned allowing for debate and discussion in between votes. That
could mean 15 minutes. Any time is ok with me but probably the rules
need to be defined (to avoid e.g. 10 votes in one minute).

Juho Laatu