[EM] Are proposed methods asymptotically aproaching some limit of utility?

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 11 10:38:24 PDT 2007

On Mar 11, 2007, at 18:44 , Matthew Welland wrote:

> I can't follow every thread but I'm starting to think that the
> search for
> some perfect voting method is asymptotically approaching some sort of
> limit.

Theoretically that may be the truth. In practice I see many experts
with often quite different opinions on where the asymptote is about
to lead us :-).

Note also that there may be also different targets on what kind of
utility the method tries to maximize. Seeking for a compromise
candidate with wide support may be a good target in most elections
but one could also have different goals like minimizing number of
really disappointed voters or giving a chance also to candidates that
are not widely supported (e.g. random ballot). Allowing the majority
to decide vs. seeking for best average utility is also another
decision on what kind of utility to seek. And of course in some
environments strategic voting is a bigger threat than in others and
one needs to pick the voting method accordingly. There are however
some good general purpose methods that work well in most typical
elections.

> That doesn't mean that the pursuit isn't useful but there is an
> academic
> path and a pragmatic path.

Yes, this list discusses both theoretical questions and pragmatic
questions. Both are of course good topics to cover. It would be good
to be clear when one claims something about the theoretical
properties and when about the practical properties.

> I want to know what to advocate in various
> forums and what to implement on my own web site. My current choice
> would be
> range voting. It is simple (only slightly harder to expain than
> approval)
> and it seems to do a good job at leaving voters satisfied.

It offers some really nice properties with sincere votes. It however
has the potential to lead to disasters if used in a mixed way so that
some voter groups mark their sincere preferences while some others
mark strategically only largest and smallest values.

Juho Laatu