[EM] RE : D2MAC can be much more efficient than Range Voting (corrected)

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Mar 8 10:20:45 PST 2007

I think I see the problem. It's odd that Warren's question has not
been directly answered. I'll attempt it.

The problem is that both Warren and those describing D2MAC to him
have not been fully specific. I'll show this:

> > > Recall that in D2MAC you specify a favourite and as many "also
> > approved"
> > > options as you want. Then two ballots are drawn and the winner is the
> > > most approved option amoung those that are approved on both ballots
> > > (if such an option exists), or else the favourite option of the first
> > > ballot.

Now, what does "most approved option" mean? Does it refer to the two
ballots or to the entire election? I don't see where this was
specified, nor did Warren state his objection explicitly. If he had written

"If A is the favorite on both drawn ballots, why would A not win?"

This would have exposed that he is thinking that the "most approved
option" refers to the two ballots. I think it was intended to refer
to the entire election. The other ballots are *not* moot.

This is not a comment on D2MAC as a method, nor on the precise rules
as stated. Just, I hope, a clarification of a distracting confusion.

Warren ought to have known, since, really, the method and examples
made no sense with his interpretation, but sometimes we get stuck in
a loop and overlook the obvious.

Or he did *not* overlook the obvious and *I* am!

>The only reason I can see that the "favorite" distinction exists is for
>the case that there are not two candidates approved in common between
>the two drawn ballots.

And it seems very weird to me that the Favorite of the first ballot
wins in that eventuality. Why not the most approved of all candidates
on the two ballots?

Remember, though, that a method like this would have been likely to
give Adolf Hitler a victory, more than the other candidates.... the
method peaks in probability around the plurality victor, I think.
But, once again, I haven't done the math.