[EM] What is the ideal election method for sincere voters?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Mar 7 10:41:19 PST 2007

I didn't answer part of the question.

At 08:20 PM 3/6/2007, David Cary wrote:

>-What exactly is a sincere Range voter?
>How does a sincere Range voter vote and based on what?
>Ditto both questions for Approval voting?

I answered for Range but not for Approval.

Approval is a Range method voted .... Approval style!

Sincere votes under Approval would be any vote that does not reverse
preferences.

If we consider the underlying preferences and ratings to be
expressable in Range, then we can consider that the sincere voter
sets -- or can be seen as setting -- an Approval cutoff rating, and
all candidates rated above that level are approved and all below it
are not. Essentially, the voter has divided the candidates into two
sets, and the vote is sincere if every candidate in the approved set
is preferred to every candidate in the disapproved set.

There is no known good reason for voting insincerely under Approval.
It is never forced.