[EM] it's pleocracy, not democracy

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Mar 6 06:57:25 PST 2007

At 06:33 AM 3/6/2007, raphfrk at netscape.net wrote:
>From: abd at lomaxdesign.com
>
> > No. But that condition is essentially impossible. There is *never* a
> > consistent faction of that size in a majoritarian democracy, indeed,
> > I think I wrote, there is no faction of *any* size of which this is
> > true, since the vast majority of choices made in real societies enjoy
> > almost total consensus.
>

>It happened in Northern Ireland.  The nationalist faction is  around
>45% of the population.  They want NI to be part of the Republic. The
>other faction is the unionist faction.  They wanted to remain part
>of the UK and represented around 55% of the population.

No, it did *not* happen in Northern Ireland. That is a *single*
decision. Yes, it is a big one, but is it being suggested here that
the alternative, joining the Republic, be imposed on the majority?

Frankly, I don't like imposing decisions on minorities. Rather,
societies in such divided condition must work to find better
alternatives, situations usually are not so black and white, all-this
or all-that.

But, again, this is only a single decision, all be it one that feeds
quite a few others.

This situation, though, points out the hazard of giving the right of
decision, by some random process, to the minority. What is the
"history" of having their way? There is a single decision. In order
to give all groups "their way," one would have to make and unmake the
decision, make it this way one year and the next the next year. Would
Northern Ireland be part of England one year and the next year part
of Ireland? This is the only way I could think of spreading out the
"getting their way."

You want my opinion of how to deal with a situation like this? You
try to give everyone their "way." You need a system in place for
functioning as a deliberative democracy that can seek consensus.
FA/DP is exactly such a solution, and it is exactly designed to
function even in very difficult situations.

The most that is needed as a modification of standard FA/DP would be
Asset Voting at the base level. This allows individuals to remain
anonymous but still to choose who represents them, without
restriction (in general).

FA/DP theoretically will bring together all factions at a single
table, where a relatively small group of people who *actually*
represent, collectively, nearly everyone, can seek better solutions
than Half-Win, Half-Lose.

Maybe Northern Ireland should be independent, or maybe it should be
partitioned (very complex and difficult but doable *if* there is free
choice and full compensation, which is almost never proposed, instead
what is proposed are "us win you lose" kinds of partition.... get off
my land! you don't belong here. Even if you have been here, with your
ancestors, for hundreds of years).

>In fact, the original split of the island into NI and the Free State (as
>the Republic was then), was designed to give the unionists as much
>territory as possible, while still giving them a majority.

Bad design, for sure. Setting up situations with narrow majorities on
very important issues is a formula for civil war. N. Ireland is an
example that proves this, but there are many others.

>This was the single most important issue in every election, and the
>unionists won every time.

People who profit from polarization (think Milosevic in Serbia) will
promote this kind of thinking. What is more important, whether we
belong to Ireland or England or whether we put in a new sewer system?
Does the sewer system choice depend on whether the Unionists or the
Republicans are in power? Yes, it might, where politicians have a
personal interest in making everything into a single issue. Us Good, Them Bad.

And this, of course, results in terrible consequences for *everyone*,
even for these politicians and certainly for their communities.

Sensible communities would, given the systems and opportunities, not
choose the people of polarization as leaders. They would choose
people who actually desire to serve the best interests of those they
represent, which is not usually furthered by making neighbors into
enemies. Sure, sometimes strong action is required, and difficult
choices are required, but a society which allows this to be the
routine case is in serious trouble.

When the majority attempts to suppress the right of the minority to
even be represented, this is not the kind of issue-based
majoritarianism that I suggest is appropriate, it is *group* based
majoritatianism. Which is also called discrimination and oppression.

Most people actually want the sewer system to function. They want
roads to be passable. They want to be safe. They want to be able to
make a living. Sure, they also want to be proud, to have an identity
and a sense of ownership of where they live. But the latter can come
in many ways, and membership in a fanatic ethnic prganization is
actually a serious distraction, it does not confer ownership and
pride except by distracting from the real issues to blame of the
"others" who are "keeping us down" or are perceived as threatening us.

>   The end result was that the UK government
>decided to administer  NI directly, due to civil disorder issues.  The
>unionists went from having a permenent majority to being a relatively
>small party in the UK parliament.  This highlights the problems with
>ignoring a large segment of the population.

Of course. The problem here is representation. If a majortty *party*
-- remember I wrote about party majority as distinct from individual
majorities, can control all or most of the seats, even though it has
only a slim majority, there is a serious problem in representation,
and we can guarantee that this will result, under many circumstances,
in oppression and rebellion.

The problem is not the right of the majority to make decisions. The
problem is in fixing and identifying this majority as a specific
group and giving that group special power. Majority rule actually
requires that this not be done. It becomes oligarchy, not majority
rule, for lots of reasons.

>The peace process is an attempt to restore local government in NI.
>The rules that they intend to use are not rule by majority.
>They use PR to elect the assembly.  Each candidate must say if they
>are a nationalist, a unionist or neither.  No bill can be passed by
>the assembly unless it majority support from both the nationalists
>and the unionists (and probably overall majority support).  This is
>obviously subject to abuse.  Once, some of the independents redesignated
>themselves as unionists so that a bill could be passed.

This is a special response to a special situation, and, yes, it is
wide open to exactly the abuse mentioned. My own suggestion would be
to use Asset Voting for the assembly. Asset Voting neither opposes
nor needs political parties, representation is chosen and personal.
The process aggregates votes with the candidates who hold votes
essentially serving as proxies for the general electorate to select a
defined body of representatives.

Who would not, intrinsically, be designated, would have no special
powers based on stated party affiliation. Voters could certainly
select such people, and a true majority party would have a majority
of seats, we can assume, and would thus have the right of decision.

But the Unionists, I would bet, are not a true majority party.
Rather, they are a plurality party, perhaps. It is possible that they
would not even be that if voter choices were not severely constrained
by the electoral process. People would choose those they trust, with
Asset, and my experience in politics is that voters often don't trust
*any* of the candidates on the ballot. They will vote, sometimes, but
it is for the lesser evil. It is not true representation.

You know, it would not be necessary to be the farm on some new
system. FA/DP could be set up in Northern Ireland, and, if necessary
-- because FA/DP process must be open --, a base level of proxy
assignments would exist that were made by secret ballot. This
organization would function to advise its members how to vote, it
would control nothing.

As an FA, it would not advise its members through majoritarian
decisions. It would simply discuss and poll, and, through this
process, estimate the actual support for any proposal, before it goes
to the real polls. Thus proposals can be worked out and tested for
support in advance of the actual election process. And proposals that
will actually benefit the citizens of Northern Ireland, broadly, not
narrowly, i.e., some presumed majority, will have a better chance of
comeing to the top, of actually making it into public elections and
then, if the FA/DP process is actually working, of winning.

I think I did not explictly state how recommendations *would* come
back to members. It would be through the proxy structure.
Essentially, if you are the average citizen, spending most of your
time trying to keep your family and community functioning, you would
have named a representative in the secret ballot portion of the
process. That representative, whom you have chosen for trust and for
nothing else, will come back to you and suggest how you should act
and vote. If you don't trust it, you aren't obligated to follow the
advice. But what do you think would happen if this open FA/DP process
came up with a projected approval of, say, 90% for some proposal, and
the proxies supporting it went back to their constituents and
announced this and why it should be supported by the voters (and
those opposing it might do the same from their side), and then a real
vote were held?

My expectation? *More* than 90% would support it. I've seen this kind
of thing actually happen. Once it becomes clear what is going to
satisfy the vast majority of participants in an organization, even
those who originally may have opposed it will come on board. I've
seen dedicated polarization turn into total agreement. It is this
kind of process that gets people excited about consensus, but they
generally don't know how to make it sufficiently efficient. That's
what DP is about.

And sooner or later, people will start trying it. It does not take
changes in law, it takes changes in attitude. If it required everyone
to change attitude, it would be impossibly difficult. But the plan
does not require that. It only requires the few who can, under
present conditions, follow this argument, to actually "lift a finger,
change the world."

http://beyondpolitics.org/wiki.

What does it cost to register on that wiki? It takes "lifting a finger."

Hey, if you want to "lift a finger" in a different way, why not
register and tell us why you think this a bad idea?

*Nobody has done that, to date.*