[EM] it's pleocracy, not democracy

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Mon Mar 5 23:41:38 PST 2007

Dear Abd ul-Rahman,

you wrote:
> If we
> are going to link the randomization that allegedly eliminates
> injustice to "minority" voters, we must have open voting, we can't
> have secret ballot. If we have secret ballot, and there is some
> hidden process that randomizes the results, well, tell me, would
> *you* trust that such a process was not being manipulated? After all,
> there would be no way to check.

It seems to me you are repeating old arguments. First of all, voting
systems that remember past votings need not be open at all, they can
use cryptographic methods to keep each voter's voting history secret.
Second, randomization in practice is always done by pseudorandom
devices whose seed values can be determined deterministically from the
ballots, so that the result can be repeated and checked.

Jobst