[EM] Juho--Strategy-resistance

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Sun Mar 4 20:20:24 PST 2007

Juho said:

>I very much support evaluating also the performance with sincere  votes /
>the utility function that a methods tries to implement (in  addition to
>evaluating its strategy resistance).

I reply:

Often, when people speak of methods in terms of strategy, they speak of
"strategy-resistance", as if the goal were to have a methat that could
withstand strategy, defeat strategy.

Actually, the fundamental strategy problem is not that a method doesn't
defeat or resist strategy. The problem is that it forces strategy. The
problem is that a method creates strategy dilemma for voters, that it
creates a need for some degree of giveaway strategy in order to enforce
majority rule or keep someone worse than the CW from winning.

As I've said, yes the better method don't let offensive strategy cause a
need for drastic defensive strategy. But that's a secondary concern, merely
part of meeting the goal in the paragraph before this one.

Mike Ossipoff