[EM] it's pleocracy, not democracy

David Cary dcarysysb at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 15:50:52 PST 2007

--- Jobst Heitzig <heitzig-j at web.de> wrote:
> some clarification because in recent posts democracy and majority
> rule were confused quite often...
>
> In a dictatorial system, almost all people have no power.
> In a majoritarian system, up to half of the people have no power.
> In a democratic system, ALL people HAVE some power, that is, "the
> people rule".
>
> Hence, majoritarian systems in which a majority of 50% + 1 voter
> can make all decisions are NOT democratic. The greeks called them
> "pleocratic".

Guaranteeing that everyone gets to be the winner at least some of the
time is an interesting idea, but displacing the common meanings of
democracy does not seem to be justified.  I couldn't find "pleocracy"
in a dictionary and I don't know what the etymology is.

I'd categorize this more as an alternate form of democracy, and so
far, not a preferable one as a practical matter.

-- David Cary