[EM] MAMPO is probably better than MDDA

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Sun Mar 18 09:49:39 PDT 2007

Kevin Venzke wrote (Feb 22,2007):

>Hi.
>
>This is the definition of MAMPO:
>
>1. A candidate's opposition score is equal to the greatest number of
>votes against him in any pairwise contest.
>2. The voter ranks; those ranked are also "approved."
>3. If more than one candidate is approved by a majority, elect the one
>of these with the lowest opposition score.
>4. Otherwise elect the most approved candidate.
>
>MAMPO satisfies FBC, SDSC, and SFC like MDDA does. But MAMPO also satisfies
>Woodall's Plurality criterion.

Kevin,
I'm interested in your opinion of my stab at something similar that
meets Irrelevant Ballots:

"1 and 2 as for MAMPO.
3. Give each candidate a score that is equal to its approval score minus
its opposition score.
4. Elect the candidate with the highest score".

With sensible approval strategy, this seems to 'perform well' (in terms
of strategic criteria) with 3 or 4
candidates. The approval component seems to easily rescue MMPO from its
greatest embarrassments.

One hope is that the truncation incentive of Approval and the
random-fill incentive of  MMPO will mostly
cancel each other out.

There may be some smarter way to combine approval and pairwise
opposition scores, perhaps weighting
them unequally. And if anyone likes it I'm open to a suggestion for a name.

Chris Benham