[EM] RE : Re: When and how can we speak of "individual utility" and "social utility"?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Mar 1 10:33:46 PST 2007

At 07:11 PM 2/28/2007, Kevin Venzke wrote:
>--- Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com> a écrit :
> > While it is already true that Range and Approval *do*
> > satisfy that Criterion, in my opinion, on the argument that the
> > majority has consented to a different outcome,
>
>"Majority criterion" has a specific meaning. It in effect says that a
>majority can elect their first preference without concealing lower
>preferences. You can hardly say that Range satisfies MF on the argument
>that a majority could have concealed their lower preferences. That
>would be like saying a product is free of charge to you because you can
>choose not to buy it.

Yes. It has a clear meaning. I'm suggesting,
however, that the Majority Criterion is based on
an deeper criterion, which is Majority Rule.

This phrase has been ripped from context, which
actually weakened the apparent claim by
acknowledging precisely what Mr. Venzke points
out, that there is a degree of constraint imposed
on the "consent" involved. And this phrase came
only as an aside to the central point, which was
that the Majority Criterion is fully satisfied by
a Range election in which a top-two runoff is
held between the Range winner and the Condorcet winner, if they differ.

(I have not at all examined the question of how
to handle Condorcet cycles, but the essence of
the idea, with relation to the Majority
Criterion, is that the alternative to the Range
winner be one who satisfies the Majority Criterion.)

(I will also note that the bare-minimum, simple
election process where a candidate is presented
for election, and the motion to elect may be
amended, satisfies the Majority and Condorcet
criteria, and, if preceded by a Range poll, also
fully considers social utility as imputed by the
poll. Quite properly, the majority may reject the
Range results. The problem is when we try to
stuff all this into a single deterministic poll,
we lose necessary flexibility. The Range poll
followed by the runoff reasonably satisfies this
as a limited election process, full deliberation
is always superior, except possibly from the
point of view of efficiency. And the efficiency
issue could be resolved with ... delegable proxy.)