[EM] manipulation free method?

Forest W Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Jun 29 18:26:14 PDT 2007

It's true that there can be some incentive to lie about whom you think
is the most likely to win, but there is no point in lying about your
preference order.

Here's a version that reduces the incentive to lie about perceived
probabilities:

Each person indicates both a guess as to the winner, and a number alpha
between zero and ten indicating how confident they are in their guess.
The larger alpha, the greater weight in the community estimate.

Here's the kicker.  On your ballot, the probability distribution is a
weighted average between the guess you submitted and the community
distribution.

If your guess is bogus, then you wouldn't want it to have much weight
on your own ballot, so you will choose a small value of alpha, and it
won't influence the community distribution much either.

FWS