[Election-Methods] A "sincere" ballot is suboptimal in Range Voting.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Jul 25 14:32:06 PDT 2007

my post was garbled in a few places. Busy, too busy, I am.

I wrote:
>That is, suppose the voter could vote on the question, should this
>election, we are going to have after this vote, be Range 2 (0,1,2)
>or Approval (0,1), and the voter maximizes expected return by voting
>for Range 2 and then voting either sincere or Approval strategy, as
>appropriate -- it seems to depend on the utility pattern -- in the election.

I meant to say this:

If the voter could choose which method to use for an upcoming
election, what method should the voter choose to maximize personal
utility? Range 2 or Approval? The voter is free not to use the
intermediate ratings in the ensuing election.

And I wrote:
>The election has three candidates, and our voter has utilities for
>ABC of 210. We have no knowledge of how the other voters, and, with
>many voters, and restricting our examination to situations where the
>vote of the voter has no effect on the outcome, and excluding
>certain situations where there is a three-way tie or near-tie before
>our voter votes, there are 27 possible presenting votes.

Decoded by inversion:

The election has three candidates, our voter has utilities for them
of 2, 1, 0. We have no knowledge of how the other voters will vote
and, with many voters, we can restrict our examination to situations
where the vote of the voter could possibly, if properly designed,
affect the outcome, and excluding 'vanishingly rare situations],
there are 27 possible presenting vote patterns.

And we determine the winner and utility for each of these presenting
patterns and possible vote. I only looked at votes of 200, 210, and
220, it being clear that the optimal vote (for maximizing personal
utility) is one of these. Ties are resolved by lot, so if there is a
tie, the expected utility is the average of the tied candidates' utilities.