[EM] renaming DYN

greg wolfe bogonflux at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 15:24:46 PDT 2007

>The rest X out C, mark P next to their favorite, and leave their second
>preference unmarked.
>
>Candidates A and B agree on a deal to "trade" 24 votes.
>
>That gives 51 S's for A, and 48 S's for B, with 3 left for A to decide.
>
>A wins.
Ah, I notice now that A and B can spend their proxies by approving
multiple candidates other than themselves.  This somewhat increases
the chance that they will cooperate by approving of each other to
prevent C from winning.  It still seems likely to me that they will
choose to not cooperate with each other because they are rivals.
This is especially true in cases where different sorts of cooperation
could cause either candidate to win.

The insight that if you trust someone to represent you then you should
also trust them to act as a proxy for you seems to not always hold.

When there is only one prize to win a winner-take-all mentality can
easily form within the candidates.

This is ameliorated somewhat in elections where there are multiple
winners and where the proxies are electors rather than candidates.

-Greg
--
Follow my blog at http://AllAboutVoting.com