[EM] RV comments

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Jul 22 20:00:35 PDT 2007

At 01:49 AM 7/21/2007, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
A silly thing to say. Every criterion is a measure of election
success, because all criteria (at least the ones that are any good,
the "results criteria") judge methods according to what they will or
won't do. A criterion failure is the opposite of success. By a
criterion, success is not having a failure.

Failing an election criterion does not define an unsuccessful
election, except as defined by that criterion. Election criteria in
general -- there is an exception -- are based on some assumed
desirable characteristic, often quite abstract, and if it turns out
that this assumption is incorrect, or at least not correct in all
cases, then the criterion fails to accurately measure the success of
an election.

I am assuming that there *is* such a thing as election success or
failure, independent of all criteria, at least in some cases. That
is, there are situations where most reasonable people, given full
knowledge, would agree that a certain outcome was optimum and that
other outcomes are suboptimal. There may be situations where
reasonable people would disagree.

The most obvious example is the Majority Criterion. I'll define it a
little more strictly than it is usually defined. If a majority of
voters prefer a candidate, and are not forced by strategic
considerations to suppress that preference, and accordingly express
it, the preference of the majority must prevail. Approval does not
satisfy this criterion as stated, nor does Range. Any
Condorcet-compliant method does. It is a rank criterion; that is, it
is independent of preference strength.

And it can fail spectacularly. That is, there are election scenarios
where the majority preference is quite clearly the wrong choice, *and
the voters will agree if asked*. If the voters had full knowledge of
the views of other voters, they would change their preference based
on what they know of the *preference strengths* of others. And this
is what people *routinely* do in cooperative action.

This is not, as people like Ossipoff have asserted, "altruism," and I
would not recommend that anyone change their vote in an ab initio
Range poll, for example, based on opinion about the preferences of
others. Feeding a Range poll distorted information about personal
preferences will distort the outcome. *However*, subsequent process
*after* that poll may involve shifted preferences.

And as I have written many times, I've seen this in action, where
what was initially even a strong preference, by a majority, shifted
based on knowledge of the overall preferences of the entire group. In
this case the "Range poll" was an Approval one, and it appears that
all voted sincerely, so the information was good. And that
preferences were strong initially is based on what people said about
them, with words like "over my dead body...." And my belief that they
shifted was based on the *unanimous* ratification of the ultimate
choice. Contrary to what they had said, those people did not die. At
least not immediately!