[EM] Corrected "strategy in Condorcet" section

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 00:52:43 PDT 2007

Margins vs. winning votes is another long term discussion topic on
this list. There have been many opinions and the final conclusions
may be more difficult to draw than in the Range strategy question. I
write some short notes to enlighten also the margins side of this
question.

1) It can be debated if Condorcet methods are in practice (large
scale public elections) vulnerable to strategies. If not, then both
margins and winning votes are safe enough and other criteria can be
used to pick one of them for use. It is hard to find plausible
scenarios where some strategies could be successfully applied in
large scale public Condorcet elections. Also the need to develop and
use counter strategies is questionable if the first round of
strategies would not work in the first place.

2) There are as well cases where winning votes are more vulnerable to
strategies than margins. So the question is not one-sided.

3) In some cases winning votes pick strange winners already with
sincere votes. Margins can be said to be more natural and elect
better candidates in general. This of course depends to some extent
on what kind of winners one wants the election method to pick.

Some links that touch these topics and might therefore be of interest:
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/
2007-February/019660.html (there are lots of mails in the February
archive)
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/
2005-July/016440.html
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/
2005-July/016450.html
(Sorry about providing links only to my own mails. It's easier to
remember them than the others :-). Seek for alternative opinions
close to these in the archive.)

Juho