[EM] manipulation free method?

Forest W Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Jul 3 14:17:11 PDT 2007

Mike,

Yes, the approval strategist would do well with this method.

Those who like to strategize can do so, and those who don't like to can
just rank the candidates.  Those who don't strategize will (by
definition) submit sincere rankings.  Those who do strategize can do
most, if not all, of their strategizing without order reversals, and
with few collapses of order.  The net effect is sincere rankings, which
makes for more reliable analysis of the election.

Forest

Mike Ossipoff wrote:

>Forest--
>
>As I was saying before, if everyone honestly and very accurately
indicates
>the most likely winner, then the method is a lot like DSV, without the
>incentilve to misrepresent one's preference ordering.
>
>As you said, the strategy incentive is in the indication of the most
likely
>winner.
>
>Obviously you'd want to make sure that you're marking your "most likely
>winner" as someone people like less than your favorite. Or maybe you'd
mark
>someone that people like more than your favorite's chief rival. Anyway,
your
>likely-winner mark would be strategically chosen.
>
>Everyone would be placing those marks to influence eachother's
approvals.

>The fact that your ballot's probabilty distribution is affected by your
own
>likely-winner mark won't keep you from insincerely marking a likely
winner
>below your favorite, because you'd want to approvae him/her anyway. And
it
>doesn't give you much reason to not mark a likely-winner above your
chief
>rival, because wouldn't you be tempted to not approve him/her in an
ordinary
>Approval election? So doesn't this become something very similar to
>Approval?
>
>I have to admit that I don't know exactly how it would play out, when
you
>aren't just controlling your own Approval vote, but are also moving
other
>peoiple's approvals too. But it seems that you'd have the same
incentives
>for both. Wouldn't that make the strategy similar to Approval?
>
>When a method is proposed with the purpose of getting rid of strategy
need,
>I'm inclined to ask if it meets SFC and SDSC. Of course it is _not_
your
>responsibility to find that out, because you're not the one advocating
SFC