[Election-Methods] [EM] Is "sincere" voting in Range suboptimal?

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 24 22:38:52 PDT 2007

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> At 01:12 AM 7/24/2007, Chris Benham wrote:
>
>> No, you just assumed "because of the symmetry of the scenario" that
>> the 2 possible approval votes (220 and 200) must give the same
>> "expected satisfaction"
>> and therefore you would only bother comparing 220 with 210  (and
>> ignore 200).
>

> I had been told, explicitly, that there was no strategic difference
> between the vote of 210 and 200, that Candidate B, was at the
> "approval cutoff," exactly.

Also you were told that there it made no difference  to our voter's
average expectation what rating s/he gives B. That was based on the
assumption that the
best Range strategy is "mean-based thresholding", which it is in the
3-candidate scenario with 10 or more voters (according to Warren's
Venzke-inspired table
http://rangevoting.org/RVstrat3.html ).

Here is my analysis again of  Abd's suggested 0-info 2-voter 3-candidate
election, where our voter's sincere ratings ("utilities") are A2, B1, CO :

> There are, in the two-voter case, 27 possible ballots, being all the
> base-3 numbers from 000 to 222. All are considered equally likely,
> which simplifies the calculations by assigning the same probability to
> each. In the many-voter, ballot-could-shift-result election,  the
> virtual ballots of 000 and 222 are, in fact and in real elections
> equally probable with the others.

I find that statement ridiculous, but of course including such
essentially blank ballots can't change the ranking of  the our three
considered votes.

Chris Benham