[Election-Methods] A few particulars of the poll

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Fri Jul 27 08:03:23 PDT 2007

I should have given more details about the poll and its results:

At the polling website, we use three-level CR. Voters can vote "Like",
"Dislike", "Indifferent", or "Don't know".

"Like" awards 2 points. "Dislike" and "Don't know" don't award any points.
"Indifferent" awards 1 point.

There were seven voters.

Here are the methods in the poll,and their point totals:

Approval  13

-1,0,1     9

-1,1        8

MDDA    5

Of the seven voters, all but one gave Approval a "Like". None gave Approval
a "Dislike"

As I said, Approval scored 50% above the mean, and 44% above the runner-up.

I understand that the percentage above the mean isn't the uniform way to
express a deviation from the mean.

I'm the first to admit that I don't know statistics, but if the standard
deviation is the square root of the sum of the squares of the deviations,
divided by the number of deviations, then Approval scored almost 3 standard
deviations above the mean.

Mike Ossipoff