[EM] Problem solved (for pure ranked ballot

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Jan 25 07:03:04 PST 2007

At 04:20 AM 1/25/2007, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
>But all kinds of methods are better than eachother in some sense or other.

Prove it.

(Hint: "better" is undefined for most of us, but Warren has a definition.)

I'm surprised that Ossipoff missed the problem. Range is subject to
the same analysis as any other ranked method. Range is a ranked
method plus *optional* information that Range uses if it is present
(specifically, variations in preference strength). So if allegedly
all ranked methods fail some criterion, with the proof being a
specific election example, then Range will also fail the criterion,
because Range ballots can be arranged to contain the same information
as ranked ballots.

Only if the criterion considers preference strength will this not be
true. Criteria that consider preference strength could be expected to
show Range as superior, given a reasonable definition of "superior"
and a reasonable criterion.

The flaw in Warren's proof, if I'm correct, is that you can show that
Favorite Betrayal works with any method. I gave a brief proof on the
Range list, it is repeated here, so that I can be doubly embarrassed
if I'm suffering a brain fault.