[EM] Clarifying Bias-Free definition

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Mon Jan 22 05:18:37 PST 2007

Dear Mike,

Joe--

You wrote:

1. What is the value of your expression when a = 0?

I reply:

It's 1/e. I don't remember the details of the derivation of that right now,
and my e-mails have to be sent quickly, because the modem shuts down. Maybe
between 0 and 1 it was an improper integral evaluating to 1/e.

2. What role do you see the constant 1/e as playing?

I reply:

It's just part of the formula that comes up when you solve for the rounding
point. I can't explain why that is. But, in the 1st cycle, R is 1/e, and
then in later cycles it gets multiplied by

Mike Ossipof