[EM] Noise (Was: Credentials?)

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sat Jan 20 09:09:45 PST 2007

At 06:23 PM 1/19/2007, Ken Kuhlman wrote:
>>That's not the only possible solution. Indeed, the solution has been
>>known as in widespread use for a long, long time. It's called
>>Robert's Rules of Order, and the chair is the equivalent of a
>>moderator; the members of the "meeting" have absolute authority over
>>the chair at all times, the chair merely acts as the servant of the
>>majority, with the proper respect accorded to minority opinion that
>>is enshrined in Robert's Rules.
>
>Sure, we could turn the czar into a bureaucrat & neuter them until
>they're powerless outside  of a narrowly defined set of rules we
>create for them.

Mr. Kuhlman does not understand the function of a chair of an
assembly that has not established special rules. Even under Robert's
Rules, the authority of the chair is absolute *except* that anyone
can at any time appeal. In a relatively informal assembly -- such as
the EM list if it does not make drastic changes -- the
moderator-chair can act first, according to his or her own
interpretation of the rules. This is not "powerless." It is, in fact,
almost absolute power, but limited only in retrospect.

There is no rule, under Robert's Rules and the rules of most
assemblies, so strong that it will prevent the assembly from
overruling the chair. What this means is that the ultimate arbiter of
the rules is the assembly itself, and an appeal on the rules is
decided by majority vote. Thus the so-called "nuclear option" in the
U.S. Senate. The chair (the Vice-President of the United States)
would make a ruling that the normal cloture rule did not apply to the
appointment of Supreme Court justices. This would be a blatant
violation of precedent and rules, but the chair has the power to do
this. If the chair is willing to take on the resulting opprobrium.
Then, presumably, a member offended by the ruling would appeal. The
majority has the absolute authority to interpret the rules. Period,
end of question. If the majority in the Senate voted to confirm the
ruling of the chair, the rules would not be changed, but a precedent
would have been established. It is entirely unclear that a majority
of Senators, even though the Republicans had a majority, would have
voted to confirm the blatant violation of the cloture rule by the chair.

A chair under Robert's rules is a bit like a dictator who is
continually subject to the authority of those over whom he or she
rules. The authority of the chair only applies to the meeting, or
related process. The chair's authority over the members is only
limited to meeting process, the chair cannot reach out and punish
members, beyond ordering the sergeant-at-arms to remove them from the
meeting. A moderator of a mailing list can (1) delete offensive posts
from the archive), and (2) moderate or ban members.

The chair may also propose to take such action, and allow discussion.
Or not. The chair decides whether or not discussion of the matter on
the list itself is appropriate or not.

All this is really common law, taken from standard democratic meeting
process, applied to mailing lists. The moderator is *already* the
chair of this "meeting." The moderator has *chosen* not to intervene.
If we don't like it, we can request that the chair act differently.
If we don't like the response of the chair to that, we, in fact, can
remove the chair. How would we do this?

We would take the meeting elsewhere. The "assembly" is the body of
participants, not the list. If those who wish to meeting under
conditions different from those which exist here were to simply begin
doing this, they are totally free to do so. How could they,
practically, speaking, do this?

Well, first of all, we all have, if we keep the mail, the email
addresses of everyone who has posted to this list, for as far back as
our archives go. If one of us decides to start another list, that
person, and/or anyone supporting the action, could notify all the
other participating members, even if the moderator attempted to
suppress the information.

But it would surely be odd for the moderator of this list to attempt
to do this, it would be utterly in contradiction to the laissez-faire
policy which has been followed.

Now, what does this mean in practice, with reference to the comment
from Mr. Kuhlman? It means that (1) what I proposed for a chair
already exists, in the powers of the moderator, (2) any informal
assembly, by appointing a chair, can, without establishing a set of
rules, which can be a major task in itself, begin to regulate its
meeting, even to the extent of dealing with problems which may arise
which could not be anticipated in the rules, do it. What this means
is that the chair is entrusted with the power to, ad hoc, rule and
act on behalf of the members of the meeting.

Many informal organizations would prefer to deal with situations as
they arise, without a chair, or simply assume that nothing can be
done. The problem is that, without a chair or similar function, the
situation that arises can prevent the group from effectively dealing
with the problem. On this list, a chair would do nothing most of the
time. A chair, if the chair considered that a writer was abusing the
list, act to protect the list. This need not be done in an arbitrary
and dictatorial way; rather, it is done *temporarily* as the chair
sees fit. The alleged abuser, or anyone else, may appeal. If the
chair attempts to prevent the appeal from being heard, the alleged
abuser can easily bypass the chair.

*We already have a chair.* It is the list owner, who has the absolute
power to regulate the list. If he is paying attention (I think he
is), he is responsible for what continues to appear here. He has the
absolute right to allow *anything* to appear. Because this list is
routinely unmoderated, he has no legal responsibility for what is
written, until and unless someone formally protests to him. If, for
example, anyone consider that he was being libelled by a writer here,
the offended party would have no legal recourse against the owner,
*unless* the offended party objects and legally demands that the
material be removed from the on-line archive (where it would remain
forever accessible to internet searches). At that point the owner
would become responsible for failure to respond. Yes, it could be
dangerous to own an unmoderated list and pay no attention to it or to
complaints. But we are not there, Mr. Smith is highly unlikely, I
think, to take any such legal action.

I'm just pointing out that we *do* have a chair, but one whose
decision has been to allow pretty much anything to appear here. I'd
say that most of the time, it works. Indeed, an elected chair would
probably do *almost* the same thing. Whether or not the chair would
have intervened in the recent incident (which is somewhat ongoing,
though at reduced volume, so to speak), would be a matter at the
discretion of the chair.

And if the chair did not act, anyone *else* could object. Meetings
have been dealing with these problems for centuries, it is well-known
how to do it democratically.

There are plenty of arguments for allowing the status quo to
continue. And arguments for doing otherwise. The fact is that we can
do both, if there is sufficient interest. An unmoderated list can
feed a moderated list.

>However, Robert's Rules are designed for meetings with a defined
>agenda, and this listserv isn't really a meeting, nor does it have a
>defined agenda.

That is not correct. Robert's Rules are designed for meetings,
period. Obviously, there is something that brings the people
together, some interest, but nothing other than that.

One thing is true. If what you want is only "free-wheeling debate",
with no resolution or indication of consensus, or almost none, then,
of course, this is what you will have.

>   We could probably impose a bunch of rules on
>ourselves to make make RONR more applicable, but it's not clear to me
>that the result would be an improvement over the free-wheeling debate
>we have currently.

If the moderator were to intervene here under unusual circumstances,
it would be, I presume, an improvement from the point of view of the
moderator. If it were an improvement from the point of view of all
those who cared to vote on a resulting appeal, then I'd say that Mr.
Kuhlman would have nothing to stand on.

It is, in fact, clear to me that making the list moderated,
routinely, would severely damage the debate here (unless certain
conditions obtain, which are difficult and onerous, probably, with a
list of our size.)

>There are also a host of practical problems.. Who would serve as
>chair? What would be their incentive to run for office?  And what
>election method would be used to select them? :-)

I will point out here that this problem was solved long ago. There
are special problems for mailing lists that don't exist in
face-to-face meetings; the sock puppet problem is one of them.
However, that the list owner is essentially a dictator suggests a solution.

It should be understood that my major work is with this very problem.
This list is functionally a Free Association, meeting in a place
kindly provided by the list owner. The list owner has elected not to
function as a chair, though, as I pointed out, under some
circumstances he might have a legal responsibility.

So we could, *if* we want one -- I haven't seen that we do --, elect
a chair. We have no authority to compel the owner to give the chair
moderator privileges, but we could certainly ask. The owner would
then decide, I presume, whether or not the request was legitimate,
and this would include judging whether or not the election process was proper.

Now, what would the election process be? Again, this is quite a
standard problem. The simplest solution is that any member, at any
time, may move that the group elect So-and-So as chair. The person
doing this, who should not be So-and-So, would function as chair for
the purpose of conducting this election. If a majority of those
voting vote Yes, then So-and-So becomes the chair. If not, not; a
motion to elect someone else would be in order.

But, that's unfair, it might be protested. What if a member doesn't
want a chair to be elected? What if a member wants someone else? What
if a member thinks we should use some other election method?

Robert's Rules provides the obvious answer. The motion to elect I
described is an ordinary motion. It is debatable and it is subject to
appeal. To close debate and proceed to a vote requires a 2/3
majority, if the temporary chair is following the rules. (Given that
the group has not adopted the rules, the chair is not obliged to
follow them, but would you not think that the rules sufficiently
protect minorities?

In any case, I will note that deliberative procedure on the motion to
elect A, if considered an election method, satisfies the Condorcet
Criterion, and it also will almost certainly choose the Range winner,
if those who support Range take steps to insure that Range
information is available to the group.

But what if a two-thirds majority would prefer to simply elect A? It
would be undemocratic to subject the group to tedious debate, given
this preference.

Robert's Rules are *not* designed, as was stated, for groups
following some agenda. It was designed to *allow* groups to function
efficiently and democratically, for whatever purpose the group
follows. They were designed to disallow extended and useless debate,
which could otherwise *prevent* the majority from acting, or at least
it would seem so.

What takes place on this list is not debate under the meaning of
Robert's Rules. It is open discussion, what would under the rules be
considered meeting as the Committee of the Whole. A chair can still
function under CotW conditions, mostly to prevent abuse and to prove
a means of adjourning the committee (not necessary under list
conditions, but important in face-to-face meetings) and convening the Assembly.

But meeting as the Assembly requires that no debate take place
without a motion. A motion could be a proposed action, or it could be
a proposed resolution of any kind. (There is a process for avoiding
debate on objectionable motions.) The Assembly does not begin debate
on a motion until it has been seconded. This single rule could
prevent a lot of useless debate! But *discussion* can quite properly
begin on something without a second. This would never be allowed in a
formal Assembly, unless the rules were waived, or the meeting
adjourns to the CotW, or the discussion is transferred to a Committee.

I have seen no motion to elect a chair here, only a comment that it
could be done. Neither have I seen a motion to adopt Robert's Rules
or any other set of rules. This is not debate, this is discussion.

You want true debate, it can happen with rules. Not likely without.
Discussion, almost by definition, cannot lead to formal decision;
individuals remain free to take what they like from it. We could not
properly say "The Election Methods list concluded that Method
Whacky-Whack was not suitable for use in public elections."

If we adopted process, such a statement would become possible. It
could be quite useful, in fact.

>Elected leaders are sometimes a necessary evil, but they are a poor
>substitute for direct democracy within a group of informed individuals
>full of enlightened self-interest.

That's correct. Robert's Rules firmly establish functional direct
democracy. The chair is not a "leader," per se, though sometimes
chairs are leaders. If the "leadership" of the chair is
controversial, I'd say, this would be a poor choice for chair. A
chair should be perceived, by as many members as possible, as fair
and unbiased, or, at least, more interested in the fairness and lack
of bias of the meeting process than in any personal agenda. There are
people like this.

>> >Does anyone have experience with Nabble, or know of other reasonable
>> >solutions to this problem?  It's time we stop pretending the problem
>> >doesn't exist.
>>
>>At this stage, there is a simple solution. I've got the flu today and
>>a headache, so I don't have the strength to look at Nabble. But,
>>quite simply, the group should have an active moderator with the
>>power to put a member who is disruptive to the list, causing harm,
>>defined, if necessary, by vote.
>
>I'm sorry to be so harsh, but "I don't have time to think about your
>suggestion, so I'm just going to tell you what I've already decided"
>isn't good enough.  In fact, you've given me another reason to argue
>against moderation.

I fail to see that. Remember, a motion has not been entered. We are
not debating. If we were debating a motion to adopt Nabble, whatever
that is, I'd be well-advised to read about Nabble, and so would,
indeed, any list member who cared enough to vote on the motion.

This is why it is important to distinguish between discussion and
debate. It is harmless to ignore discussion, or, more accurately, one
harms only oneself. I did not harm this list or Mr. Kuhlman by my not
looking immediately at Nabble, because I found it easier not to at
that particular point. (I had a splitting headache, I was coming down
with a cold, plus I had looming responsibilities with my children.)

But if a motion were under debate, and, especially, if the question
were being called, and the motion is going to affect my rights in the
future, or the way my name and the fact of my participation here
would be used by decisions made under Nabble, then I'd better know.

And were a motion under debate, my comments *might* have been ruled
out-of-order by the chair and could be striken from the record. The
record of debate should be as free as possible of serious
irrelevancies. If you think about it, the reasons are obvious.
Irrelevancies would make it much more difficult for a member to read
the debate and come to conclusions regarding it. It is very, very
different from discussion.

>On the surface, your comment is inoffensive.  Your post is polite, and
>well-enough reasoned. You've certainly given no reason for a potential
>moderator to reject your post.

Absolutely not, as far as I could see, unless the chair considered my
remarks irrelevant to the subject of the list, which would be a stretch.

>   However, by ignoring the proposal at
>hand & redirecting to your own agenda, you've engaged in a degree of
>slight-of-hand.

No intention existed of diverting attention from Nabble. Given that
this is discussion, I simply wanted the option of simply electing a
chair to be on the table. It is actually the mildest of
interventions. (Unless we elect a draconian chair, but presumably we
would decide to remove such a person. A chair, indeed, should be
fairly strict with debate, to keep it on-topic, perhaps with proper
Subject headers, but not with discussion.)

>   If given the opportunity, I would rank your response
>low to medium low.  You might find reason to do the same to this reply
>of mine.  I assert there's value in being able to do that.

Great. I wouldn't dare to rate Nabble without investigating it.

>If we can agree on that much, then the question becomes "what do we do
>with these post ratings?  how shall they be aggregated?  what impact
>should sustained low quality posting have on an individual?"   Since
>we're a bunch of people who love to argue, would could probably carry
>on over those questions indefinitely.  For the sake of making progress
>on a very important issue that's been neglected for too long, I
>propose that the group adopt an existing set of standards.  Nabble has
>an interesting system established, though there may be others worth
>considering.

Is that a motion? If so, I would take steps to insure democratic
process. This binds no one. This is what I call a Free Association,
though without the formal traditions that would guarantee, as far as
possible, that it will always stay that way.

>>However, where there are a number of choices to be made, Range is
>>excellent for gathering information about the state of the
>>membership, for the use of the moderator as well as for the members
>>should a motion be presented for vote. A Range vote could drastically
>>shorten the deliberative time necessary to discover consensus, and
>>groups like this should always attempt to reach broad consensus,
>>particularly before taking drastic action.
>
>I agree enough with this sentiment to let it stand without argument
>(my concerns about Range don't really come into play in these
>conditions).   So, let's hear some more arguments so that we can move
>towards that consensus!

Let's have a motion first. A formal motion. I could construe Mr.
Kuhlman's post as being a motion, but given that this list has *no*
tradition of presenting motions and debating them, I'll let him
confirm or deny it. I would, in fact, request that Mr. Kuhlman repost
the text of his motion, without argument, very simply, and give the
subject of the thread as MOTION: [brief name for motion]. "MOTION: to
adopt Nabble rules" would suffice, and, for convenience, I'd put the
URL for the rules in the motion.