[EM] Strongest pair with single transfer (method)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sat Jan 20 08:48:00 PST 2007

Hi,

--- Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au> a écrit :
> Kevin,
> My last message was a copy of one I sent to EM. You may want to
> reply on-list.

Oops. Thanks. Here it is below, with one change and one addition:

 --- Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr> wrote:
 > Chris,
 >
 > --- Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au> a écrit :
 > > Kevin,
 > > Interesting. What (if any) harm would be done by
 > > applying this to the three candidates remaining
 > > after the rest have been IRV-style eliminated?
 >
 > You lose LNHarm, because your lower preferences can
 > affect what competition your favorite candidate faces
 > afterwards.

I thought this over and don't feel this explanation can be right.
If a given preference of yours will make the final 3 in IRV, then your
lower preferences have absolutely no effect on which other candidates
make the final 3.

I am inclined to think it makes no difference to LNHarm whether there
are only 3 candidates, or those 3 were acquired using IRV. That just
strikes me as hard to believe...

Actually, only the day before I posted the method description, did I
realize that LNHarm required the method to consider only the three
pairs involving the top three candidates. So I haven't put a lot of
thought into narrowing the field down to 3, because I wasn't thinking
it was necessary...

 > > Is there any actual criterion that this method
 > > meets but IRV doesn't?
 >
 > No. It fails LNHelp, which might count for something. And the burial
 > scenario seems to have something working against its
 > plausibility, in that if say A is expected to be the strongest
 > candidate, it's likely that B is closer to C than to A. We might guess
 > that the potential buriers, the sincere B>A faction, might not be very
 > large. In that case it should be difficult for the A faction to know
 > whether B voters are sincerely or insincerely planning to rank C in
 > second.

Additionally, it's worth pointing out that if the burial strategy is
successful, it merely elects the CW as we would want the method to do
anyway. The downsides are just
1. that A voters might desire to defensively truncate despite LNHarm
2. that A voters do this, and CW supporters bury, causing the third
candidate to win.