[EM] New 3-slot FBC method (not)

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jan 15 07:20:43 PST 2007

Oops!  Some on this list might know to be sceptical when I suggest a new
method meets FBC.

37: W>F
25: F>C
07: C  (sincere is F>C)
31: C>W

Approvals: W68,   C63,   F62.   Top-rating scores: C38,   W37,   F 25.
Winning threshold T =50.

No candidate has a TR score equal or above the threshold, so the least
approved candidate F is eliminated
and then on the 25F>C ballots C is promoted to top rating, boosting C's
TR score to 56, above T so C wins.

But if the 7C voters stop "betraying" their sincere favourite and change
to C=F, we get:

37: W>F
25: F>C
07: C=F
31: C>W

Approvals: F69,   W68,   C63.   Top-rating scores: C38,   W37,   F 32.
Winning threshold T =50.

This has the effect of boosting F's approval score so now C is
eliminated and W is promoted to top rating on
the 31C>W ballots so giving W a winning score.

So this method clearly fails FBC. I withdraw my support for this method
because I don't like single-winner
methods that fail  Independence from Irrelevant Ballots (IIB) without
meeting FBC.

Sorry about that,

Chris Benham