[EM] What have I started?!

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Sun Jan 21 05:29:07 PST 2007

By being the "bad-guy" again, as always, I caused a discussioni on how to
deal with bad guys, which led into a meeting-procedure discussion.

Though I'm the bad-guy, I'd like to add a few comments.

I agree with the majority, who feel that we don't need Robert's Rules. We
could devise a simple, minimal direct democracy framework. Starting with no
framework, a person makes a suggestion, and, if someone challenges it, a
vote is the obvious solution. It goes from there.

But I agree that having a chair could be a good thing, but it only makes
sense if the chair is the list-owner. He, for instance, would choose the
voting system when there's to be a vote.

If the list-owner isn't willing to chair, then minimal-rules direct
democracy will work fine.

How to vote? Range-Voting is ok for public elections, but it's no good here,
because strategizers will take advantage of sincere voters. The purpose,
here, of RV would be to aggregate sincere ratings. But we won't be getting
sincere ratings. Or at least we'll probably get enough insincere ratings to
make nonsense out of the notion of aggregating sincere ratings. Some voters
will top-rate some options and bottom-rate the rest. Approvl is incomparably
better here, because a sincere ballot is pretty much the same as a strategic
one. No sucker-abuse problem.

Condorcet is the method to use here. Because of having so few voters,
BeatpathWinner is the method to use. It's a popular method too. It's a
winning-votes Condorcet version, with many properties that many people like.

But unless we have consensus on that, or unless the list-owner specifies
BeatpathWinner, how do we choose? Well, we have a voting system here: Last
time we voted on voting systems, Approval won by landslide. It was Condorcet
Winner, and won in RV, and by every rank-count we used.

Mike Ossipoff