[EM] Juho: Your other examples

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 24 15:38:48 PST 2007

On Feb 24, 2007, at 13:31 , Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> Juho--
>
> You said:
>
> Here's my example. It is in principle the same one I already used
> but now presented as a bit more realistic scenario.
>
> I reply:
>
> Ok, if it’s effectively the same as your first example, then
> doesn’t everything that I said about your first example apply to
> this one too?

Pretty much so. One difference (in addition to increased realism) is
maybe that now also Democrats clearly prefer the CentristRepublican
over the RightWingRepublican. Mainly, I just used some more realistic
numbers.

> But I’d like to make a few comments:
>
> We have three candidates: D=Democrat, C=CentristRepublican,
> R=RightWingRepublican. I don't have any small party candidates, and
> that's maybe a deviation from realism, but let's do this simple
> scenario first. Sincere votes: 21: D 21: DC 03: DR 03: CD 26: CR
> 26: RC Many Democratic voters truncated since they were not
> interested in the Republican party internal battle between R and C.
> The R supporters note that they could vote RD and get R elected
> (with winning votes). They spread the word among the R supporters
> and press to to reach the required number of voters.
>
> I reply:
>
> The obvious problem with that is that such a strategy campaign
> would also inform the intended victims, who would refuse to rank
> the candidate whose voters were trying to steal the election from
> them. The result would be that the offensive order-reversal would
> backfire.

Yes. If two BC voters would change their opinion to BC the strategy
would fail and the worst candidate A would be elected. A has 49 first
preference supporters and is quite close to winning the election if
the Republicans (or the RightWingRepublican) give a bad impression of
themselves.

> Offensive order-reversal, for that reason, won’t be a problem. But
> truncation will be a problem with methods (such as margins) that
> let it be a problem.

If you refer to problems related to the examples you gave in the
other mail, I answered to this in my other reply.

> 6 out of the 26 R supporters follow the recommended strategy (=>
> 20: RC, 06: RD). R wins (with winning votes). Is this scenario a
> credible real life scenario?
>
> I reply:
>
> No, because the intended victims would refuse to rank the
> perpetrators’candidate, and so the offensive strategy attempt would
> backfire.
>
> That can be likewise said of your first example, but it’s more
> obvious in this one, in which you mention the press campaign for
> offensive strategy.

Ok, very good. Condorcet methods seem to be rather strategy resistant
in public large scale elections.

> You ask:
>
> Is there a risk that this strategy would backfire?
>
> I reply:
>
> Of course. Why would the strategy’s intended victims rank the
> perpetrators’ candidate?
>
> How often does it happen that supporters of one candidate have the
> possibility to influence the outcome of the election?
>
> I reply:
>
> Examples suggest that that will often be the case.
>
> You said:
>
> P.S. One more example on winning votes and truncation. 49:AB,
> 48:BC, 2:CA. A supporters truncate => C wins.
>
> I reply:
>
> No method can help voters who won’t help themselves by voting for a
> compromise that they need.
>
> You continued:
>
> Or alternatively sincere votes are 49:AB, 48:BC, 2:CB. In this case
> truncation by A supporters makes it possible for C supporters to
> vote strategically 2:CA => C wins (instead of B that was A
> supporters' second favourite).
>
> I reply:
>
> The same comment applies here. Additionally, doesn’t everything
> that I said about your first example apply here too?

Ok. My point with the last two examples was just to demonstrate that
truncation is not all safe with winning votes.

Summary.
There are good chances that strategic voting will backfire in large
public Condorcet elections. The winning vote examples that I gave
have the problem that the required number of strategic voters is
quite small and therefore under appropriate circumstances the
strategies may be successful (only few votes needed, the strategy
could be kept secret, the elections are not that large, reliable
polls available).

Note again that my ideal results from this discussion are to
demonstrate that successful strategic voting is very difficult in
real life large public Condorcet elections. And in addition to that
I'd be happy to see margins to be approximately as good or better
than winning votes, if possible. (If that can be proven, then it is
easier to discuss which pairwise result comparison function gives the
best performance with sincere votes.)

When defending Condorcet methods in public it may be a good strategy
to ask for concrete real life examples where Condorcet methods would
fail. My understanding is that Condorcet methods perform better in
such cases than when focusing on some theoretical extreme cases and
and proofs/criteria that indicate those theoretical vulnerabilities
(theories are needed too, but applicability to real life is the
target, and theories typically do not include all factors like the
reactions of the voters to the strategists' plans).

I'm still searching for the seriously bad practical example that
would demonstrate that use of Condorcet methods would in some cases
lead to widespread and harmful strategic voting in large public
elections (and hopefully for long :-). Maybe the discussed examples
can be still improved to make them more threatening. Everyone, please
try.

Juho