[EM] RE : MAMPO is the most deluxe simple alternative method

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Feb 22 12:18:22 PST 2007

Mike,

--- Michael Ossipoff <mikeo2106 at msn.com> a écrit :
> Yes,  MAMPO looks like it belongs at the  top of the simple alternative
> rank
> methods, just below SSD, in my list of methods to propose. So now this is
> my
> method proposing-order:

I'm glad you think it's useful.

> You mentioned, a few years ago, that MMPO had a problem, and, as a result
> of
> that problem, we dropped MMPO. What was that problem?
>
> Whatever it is, how bad could MMPO be? Its definition is as brief as that
> of
> SR, but MMPO meets more criteria that I like.
>
> MinMax(Pairwise-Opposition) (MMPO):
> Elect the candidate compared to whom each one of the other candidates has
> someone ranked over him/her by more voters.
> [end of MMPO definition]
>
> With that super-brief definition, combined with MMPO’s criteria
> compliances,
> MMPO Is a good proposal, no matter what that problem was.

The problem was an egregious failure of Plurality:

n a
1 a=c
1 b=c
n b

When n>=1, C is elected, no matter how large n gets.

>Kevin said:
>
>My problem with using sincere preference criteria all the time is that I
>find it awkward to always word things as though I have no idea what kind
>of method I'm talking about.
>
>I reply:
>
>But isn't that necessary if a criterion is to apply seamlessly to all
>methods?

I say "probably" mostly because Approval exists.

Though I think it's quite possible that even the sincere preference
criteria you use are not adequately defined for some type of balloting
system that has not been foreseen. (Whether such systems would have value,
I doubt. But they could still exist.)

To my mind, that criteria can be applied unambiguously to all methods,
isn't the only concern. A system that merely applies to *most* methods
can be useful if it has other advantages.

Kevin Venzke